Saturday, December 01, 2007

Jingle Bell Run 5K Race Report

This morning I ran in the Jingle Bell Run 5K in Raleigh, NC. It was a beautiful morning, but chilly! I wore a new pair of leggings, and a new longsleeve Duke t-shirt as well, so I felt comfortable. I got there early so I could be sure to get a decent parking space, and to walk around my old stomping grounds a bit. The race started and ended at St. Mary's School, where I graduated from high school! Much looks the same from the outside, but there have been some changes as well. I took my camera with me this morning and took some pictures. The picture on the left is one of the main buildings on campus. It's a pretty school.

There were some festive costumes out for the Jingle Bell Run! Although this picture is blurry, and I was on the wrong side of these people (the people in the boxes and the Santa), here's a sampling of what I saw outside the registration area!







The goodie bags for this race included a pedometer and some Burt's Bees Lip Balm (yay!), as well as a long sleeve t-shirt and bells for our shoes, a cute idea! They suggested we put the bells on the opposite shoe from the timing chip, and since one shoe already had my spare car key, I decided to go with just one bell, and that was plenty. :)












After I put my camera back in the car, I ran into not one, but two people I knew who were running as well! That's a first for me since I've started running again, so I was thrilled! I knew that someone on staff at the Rice Diet, who was going to try to make it with a friend of hers, and she did..ran into her in the restroom, of all places. (She was faster than I was, but yelled out to me whenever she passed me at turn-arounds! That was encouraging!) As I was leaving the registration area, I ran into a friend from the Junior League, whose blog I enjoy reading. I learned pretty recently that she's a runner too, but I didn't think to ask her if she was running this one. Of all the hundreds of people there, it was a treat to run into her without expecting to see her! I got to meet her hubby and a couple of their friends as well. (Wish I'd still had my camera!)

Near starting time, I went to the back of the pack, as usual. Lo and behold, my Junior League friend spotted me and encouraged me to come start the race with them. It was nice to have company for the pre-starting time stretching and chatting. As it turned out, S. (Jr. League buddy) and I were running in the same ballpark, as we ran mostly on Hillsborough Street, down to part of the Capitol area, then down to NC State and the Bell Tower, then back to St. Mary's School. She pulled out ahead of me at first, and I gradually caught up with and passed her. Then she caught up with me, and we pushed each other to the finish line! The official times haven't been posted, but we were right together at the end. It was a lot of fun having someone to run with, very serendipitous, since we hadn't traveled to Raleigh together, or even planned to meet and run together. We both had a really good race, finishing around 38 minutes! Turns out it was a PR for both of us!

My foot and knee aches and pains were pretty minor in this race, and for that I'm glad. The pf wasn't really a factor as I'd expected, since it was sore early yesterday morning. I spent some time massaging and icing it, as well as doing the ibuprofin thing. My right foot burned a little from the falling arches issue, and I felt some tendonitis on the right of my right knee, but it wasn't too bad. (I took at hot bath and some more ibuprofin when I got home, so I'm feeling much better!)

I feel relieved and happy to finally break 40 minutes! Now I'm looking to break the 35 minute mark, and branch out into longer races. There's a 4-miler in Durham I'm thinking about in February that's a good possibility! 10Ks, here I come!

When I know my official time, I'll post an update!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

way to go!!!

the 4-miler you mention is durham is the coach bubba race, yes? i have done it twice - once the 4mi. and the 20K. the 20K is super-hilly, but the 4K is a very nice flat run. you'll really enjoy it!

Lesley Looper said...

Yes, I was referring to the Coach Bubba! Thanks for the heads up! i would love to run a 20K (what a cool & unique distance!) at some point , but the 4 miler will be a good next step up.

Susan Mo said...

It was a great swag bag - I didn't even realize it until we got home. It was so nice having you there. I blew my energy in the beginning, and was so glad I had someone to chase at the end! It was fun to run with someone my own speed - I don't usually find that. We finished at the exact same time, too! It was my personal best by just under 2 minutes. Hope we can race together again, soon.

Louise G said...

I came across your blog while searching for a jingle bell 5K supposedly to be held dec 16 according to my notes. (and i have no idea where or the time!) I enjoyed reading your experience with the jingle bell run for arthritis. I too ran that race and, like you, ended up sprinting with a friend to the finish. Congratulations on your achievement and keep up the good running.
Did you run today's (DEC 8) New Balance Reindeer Romp? I ran out of stamina twice on the same trail curving incline!

Lesley Looper said...

I didn't run the Reindeer Romp in Cary today, but I did last year, and remember that hill-on-a-curve well! Whew!

Any luck finding the race on the 16th? I know of a couple of 5Ks next Saturday, the 15th, one in Fayetteville and the other in Jamestown.

Uncivil said...

Hi Lesly

I came upon your blog while googling "Wilmington nc 5 k race finish times"? Who'd a thunk it!LOL

The last race I ran was a 10K (Tri Span Wilmington NC) back in July of 98 with a time of 53:10

I was 41 years old back then.

Well, my sister in-law has just turned 40 and she want's me to run in her first 5K with her and my little brother this spring! She mentioned February, but I don't know of any races in February around our area?

You did very well with a 38 minute run in the hills of Raleigh! I'm just hoping to break 45 minutes on flat land for my first forray in almost ten years.

The reason I was checking finish times is so I wouldn't be dead last in the run!LOL!!!!

I can barely run a full mile at the moment! And I can't even do that in less than 12 minutes! Most peole can walk that fast can't they?

The first 5k I ever ran was back in 93 at Spivey's Corner with a time of 20:30, and I was never able to beat that time again. My 5K times got considerably lower at around the 25:00 mark in 98 when I gave it up.

My little bro and sis inlaw have the jump on me with traning, but I am enjoying their little challenge.I just told them too wait for me at the finish line. If I'm not there in an hour, call the paramedics!LOL

I have so enjoyed your blog and hopefully you will help motivate me to get my old arse up and moving again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails