Saturday, October 11, 2008

Race Report: Autism Ribbon Run 5K

This morning I ran in the Autism Ribbon Run 5K in Raleigh, and had a good time! The race started and ended near Moore Square, which has a number of interesting stores and restaurants around it. I always enjoy running races in the area, because the routes often include running through the downtown historic district, including the governor's mansion. The particular course was a little hilly, with more downhills going out and some uphills coming back in. None were too bad, though I did walk up a couple of them.


The weather was great for running! The skies were overcast, there was a light breeze, and the temps were in the low to mid-6os.

Before the race, I had to get there in time to pick up my race packet. I usually like to pick that up the day before, but the website incorrectly listed last night's pickup at the Athlete's Foot at Cameron Village for both Thursday and Friday nights. The BROCHURE correctly listed the Friday evening packet pickup at Moore Square. By the time I arrived at the Athlete's Foot last night, it was about 6:40, and I didn't think I could get to Moore Square by 7:00. Kinda frustrating, but at least I had the option to pick up it before the race this morning.

Since I got there early, I enjoyed looking at the various vendor tables set up in Moore Square. It was fun to catch up with Wendy from the Magnificent Mile there, and to see that she's out of her orthotic boot--no fun! I hope she had a good race! I also gave a big hello to a lady at one of the tables; I thought I recognized her from the Galloway group, but it came up in conversation that she hadn't run in a couple of years! Ugh, oh well! :)

Afterward, the vendors were still there, and post-race refreshments were plentiful.

I ended up finishing the race in 39:31, under my goal of 40:00! Woohoo! I beat my last 5K of 39:47, and I'm happy about that! I'm still trying to beat my pre-injury PR of 35:30. I'll get there sometime!

1 comment:

teacherwoman said...

Nice job on the race! ... and for a good cause! WAY TO GO!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails