Thursday, November 29, 2007

No Running Today

I did 50 minutes on the elliptical this morning. Decided to take a break from running, since my leg muscles were feeling slightly achy, and my plantar fasciitis foot a little tender. Just felt like a "something different" kind of day.

Last night I watched a couple of videos of an Ohio high school cross country meet, where a girl was so determined to finish that when her leg popped (that was her leg BREAKING!), she fell to the ground, but continued crawling to the finish. She tried to get up and her leg broke again...she ended up with several breaks by the time she got to the finish line and got picked up and taken to get medical help. It turns out she'd been injured a couple weeks before, likely with stress fractures in her leg. She's been billed as determined and courageous, definitely true, but I'm sad for her that some adults didn't step in and discourage her from running that race. It was, I believe, the last cross country meet of the season, but she was also planning to run spring track, and that's out of the picture now.

I had a dream early this morning that I was running in a 5K race and nearing a PR (personal record) when I came across a building along the course with a restroom in it, so I popped in. While I was in there, someone pointed out where the race expo was, but I didn't stay and look because I wanted to get back out and finish the race. When I got back outside I didn't see any runners, so I ran ahead and discovered I'd taken a wrong turn! I followed the other runners down the right trail, worried that I'd really fallen behind! My alarm went off before I finished the dream, so I don't know how the race turned out. I hope this wasn't a premonition of Saturday's race! ;-)

I listened to a running podcast yesterday that talked about weather. In one instance, it started snowing before a winter-time race, but after they'd marked directional arrows on the road. The first-place runner took a wrong turn, but corrected himself in time to win the race anyway! That wasn't happening to me in this particular race. :)

1 comment:

kim said...

I agree-someone should have stepped in and stopped that girl. Running should be about enjoying the experience, not hurting yourself.

Do you listen to phidipidations? Great running podcast.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails