Saturday, November 17, 2007

Apex Turkey Trot Race Report

This morning I ran in the Apex (NC) Turkey Trot, which started and ended at the Apex Community Center. The path went around a 50+ acre lake, and was quite pretty! The fall leaves made it even prettier. The race started at 10:00, still plenty cold, but I was thankful that it didsn't start any earlier! (I wore leggings and a couple of short sleeve t-shirts, and felt comfortable, temperature-wise, in no time.) It was a fairly flat trail, for which I was thankful! The worst hill was near the end, and it wasn't that bad. There were signs at each mile, but no one giving splits, which I missed. (I know, I know, I need to wear a watch!)

At the end of the race, I got a high five from a big 6-foot turkey, who beat me! The Chick-Fil-A cow was at the start of the race, but I didn't see him at the finish line when I got there. Perhaps I beat the cow! ;-)

I was pretty excited to cross the finish line in 40 minutes, 13 seconds, a new personal record! This is also the first time I've averaged under 13 minutes per mile, and that's a milestone too. I am a little disappointed that I didn't break the 40 minute mark today, though. While I was mainly hoping to beat my last race time of 40:54, finally getting below 40 minutes would've been sweet! Oh well, maybe next time!

Both of my feet held up well in this race, but my right leg started bothering me some, on the outer part of my knee, plus down the outer part of my leg a little. Will take some more ibuprofen and see how it feels tomorrow.

Laura, my niece, wasn't able to run with me as planned. I missed her, but George came along for moral support, and that was great! I also made a point of chatting with several other runners before, during, and after the race, and that added to the fun experience. Runners are a friendly bunch! :)

I've enjoyed having two races (and two PRs!) this month. I need to sign up for another one soon. There are a couple in December that I'm thinking about.

Are you a race runner? If so, what's your next race?

UPDATE: Official results have been posted, and I finished 235th out of 244 running in the competitive devision (using chip timing). I finished 11th (and last) in my age group.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did the Apex race too - it is always a really fun one. I have run it for the past 4 years now and this year I still finished slower than 14 of the 17 kids in the under-12 group! But its so pretty there.

My next scheduled race is the Disney Marathon in January 2008! Yea!!

Kim

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails