Saturday, August 22, 2009

10 More Miles in the Books

Well, today's 10 miles is in the books, and that's the best thing I can say about it, really. *sigh* Just one run, though, right? :> I think I had high expectations for it going better than it did, since I've gotten some great advice from fellow runnings, altered my mid-week workouts to include more and faster mileage as well as some hill work, lost some weight, AND took a rest day yesterday.

George and I set out 30 minutes ahead of the rest of the Galloway group, in part to try out a new run/walk ratio of 20 seconds running/40 seconds walking that Jeff Galloway suggested I use for long runs. (I emailed him a couple days ago about my struggles with my pace.) George and I decided we wanted to try going out slow, and going faster along the way, a try a negative splits. We walked the first mile, and started the 20/40 ratio in mile 2. My personal goal was to finish with an average pace of under 18 minutes/mile.

We both felt like we left a lot on the course, more than the numbers reveal. The heat and humidity did have an effect. One of my wishes is that we'd started out a little faster, walking less at the beginning.

Mile
1 20:45 (walk)
2 17:57
3 18:39
4 18:01
5 18:28
6 20:21 (after our McDonald's pit stop)
7 18:37
8 18:25
9 16:33 (Fastest mile, when we realized how slow our pace had been on G's phone calculator)
10 18:45 (Tuckered from picking up the pace in the last mile)
.38 6.26 (On target for a 16:51 mile, ran part of the way in)

Total for the run was 10:38 miles in 3:13:01, an average 18:35 pace, with 3109 ft. of ascent. I've put on a good face for George, but I'm pretty deflated about today's run.

Today was the annual Galloway pancake breakfast after the run. I had some orange slices and juice, but didn't feel like much else. *sigh*

I think I'll have a light run tomorrow to get back in the saddle. Meanwhile, I think I'll continue to tweak the run/walk ratio, as well as my workouts overall.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Even though you didn't feel the run was the best. It was a success.
1. You ran 10 miles.
2. You tried a new ratio.
3. You have varied your weekly workout and tried something new (remember it takes awhile to see results sometimes).
4. You were out there!!
5. You're a runner and YOU ROCK!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails