Monday, May 25, 2009

More Thoughts on Galloway Training

I'm continued to mull over the things I learned on Saturday at the Galloway Running School, and how it'll effect my training and my attitude about running and other things.

For instance, the speed training drills we learned did a number on my body as well as my head. After he lead of through the two drills, I thought, "I can do this!" In the past, speed work meant (to me) just trying to run a faster pace on the treadmill. Now, I don't think that's gonna necessarily do it! I CAN do more with speed work, but I'll need to break out of the mold of running on the treadmill every time during the week.

I'm still wrapping my head around the fact that miles are miles, not matter whether you run, walk, or some combination, in terms of endurance. One of the keys is to run pain- and injury-free, whatever pace that may be.

I'm still really impressed by Jeff Galloway's communication style. He encouraged questions at any time throughout the four-hour Running School, and he never seemed flustered or put out by the questions, never came across as though he felt sidetracked from his agenda for the session. When he answered questions, he made sure he looked the questioner in the eye when he talked, but also included the rest of the audience in on the answer. Fascinating how he did that.

I remember feeling wiped out Saturday night, after the Galloway training group kick-off and Running School, and yesterday I had some aches and pains, and didn't much feel like pushing myself for much of a workout. I didn't run at all yesterday, and I thought I'd be motivated to do so, so I was a bit disappointed in myself. Well, I think the speed drills took a good bit out of me, which shows me I need to do them more often than NEVER! One thing Galloway pushes is never running two days in a row. I don't know if I can stick to THAT, but I "get it" now about not running every single day.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails