Sunday, June 03, 2007

Race Report-Run for the Quay 5K, June 2, 2007

I ran in the Run for the Quay in Fuquay-Varina, NC, yesterday, and had a fun time! My buddy, Stephanie, went along and ran with me, and I enjoyed her company (as well as her navigational skills) alot.

It was a sunny, late spring morning, and I found Fuquay-Varina to be a charming town. The start and finish were at a local Methodist church, where we picked up our race numbers and timing chips. The race volunteers were friendly and organized, and the race started on time. The course had some mild hills, nothing too bad. We ran through some neighborhoods, and some of the residents were out in their yards, cheering us on. (One family even had a water hose rigged to a ladder at the curb, sending a light water mist over us as we passed by--that was great!)

I finished in 42 minutes even, for an overall pace of 13:31/mile. I ran the first mile in 13:05, so I slowed down a bit. I beat my last 5K time of 46:30, which was my goal, though secretly, I was wondering if I could break the 40-minute mark. (Perhaps next time!) I jogged the whole race for the second time in a row, and felt pretty strong throughout. There were bananas, oranges, and empty Bojangles boxes in addition to fresh water when I got to the tent after finishing the race. I'm glad the Bojangles boxes were empty! ;-)

I could feel a hint of the North Carolina heat of summer coming on, as I worked up a good sweat!

I'm hoping to find another race to do in July or August. I've found a 5K/10K combo in Fayetteville in August, and am wondering if I should stretch for the 10K, or continue to work on my 5K time. I'll see how my distance runs are coming along in another month.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails