Sunday, May 02, 2010

Race Report: 2010 Second Empire 5K Classic

I ran my first afternoon race this afternoon, the Second Empire 5K Classic. It was a 2:00 PM race, pretty unusual for this area. Also unusual were the temperatures in the low 90s, a high for this day in the Triangle!

I enjoyed chatting a bit before the race, seeing some other runners and walkers who have been running the Second Empire Grand Prix Series like I have. It was nice knowing what the course would be like, but there were still a few hills in there. Still, it's fun to run in downtown Raleigh, which includes the State Capitol area. The course also took us past St. Mary's School, my high school alma mater, and NC State's Bell Tower. The two water stops on this course were well-stocked, and the second one even had someone with a hose spraying water on people as they wanted it. Very nice!

I ended up walking more than I expected due to the heat, but Brennan and others had told me to take it easy today, and I did. At the end, my Garmin said I'd gone 3.16 miles in 53:14. I'm still waiting for official results. I was a bit disappointed in my results, but relieved to have finished the race.

Mile splits:
1)15:45
2)17:42
3)17:20
.16)14:50 pace

I met George for a late lunch afterward, then stopped by the gym to ride the stationary bike indoors to "cool down" and maybe prevent some potential soreness. The coming week will be an easy exercising week for me. I'm looking forward to the rest, but part of me is ready to get back in the saddle so I can improve on the last couple of 5K races I've done!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails